God I love cake. I love relaxing on the couch eating cake. I love eating cake in summer. I love eating cake while wearing comfy coral jeans. Show me a person who doesn’t like cake, and i’ll show you a really sad person. The saddest person in the world. But, I would like to think that even the most dedicated cake hater might declare an amnesty on this little baby. Its a moist pineapple and coconut cake. Moist and crumbly and sweet. What could be wrong with that?
So, my lovelies, I believe this year has been the year of the cookie for me. Most of my baking recently has been cookies. And really, can you blame me? These tiny, tasty treats are perfect for snacking, afternoon tea, a sneaky midnight munch or, lets face it, a meal themselves. Don’t judge. Im sure you’re guilty of having cookies for lunch. Or breakfast. Or dinner. Or all three…
munch munch munch!
But before I get into the fragrant delight that these Coconut and Strawberry Cookies are, I want to share with you an exciting development in the world of my blog. I was recently featured on the SBS Food website! Yay! I was contacted a little while ago by a lovely lady from SBS who sent me some questions tailored to my blog for me to answer. A took a lovely snap of me at a recent wedding to pop on the page and hey presto! You have what you see below
So i’ve been full of excitement! And cookies. I thought that this Christmas I would make my co workers cookies as presents. Lucky them! Actually, lucky me. These cookies are delicious and make the house smell ah-mazing. I’m thinking that this blog is going to see a whole lot of coconut during the new year. Im also thinking that a whole lot of cookie dough is going to be consumed right through 2013.
yum yum yum!
Its a soft and fragrant dough that needs to be refrigerated before its rolled out. If you can keep it out of your belly long enough to get it into the fridge that is…
then you cut out your little round with a sweet petite heart in the centre.
Or close enough to the centre.
Yes, maths and symmetry is not my strong point.
Dust the baked babies with icing sugar
and fill with sweet, sweet strawberry jam
then pop these into a jar and gift to someone you really love!
And I mean REALLY
because you are not going to want to part with these for anyone less.
So, my lovelies, what do you think of my little interview?
Coconut and Strawberry Cookies – From Donna Hay Magazine Dec/Jan 2012
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
icing sugar for dusting
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1. Beat the butter and caster sugar in an electric mixer until pale and creamy
2. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined
3. Add the flour, baking powder and coconut and mix until combined
4. Turn the dough out onto a strip of cling film, wrap up and pop into the fridge for 30 mins or until firm
5. Cut the dough in half and roll both parts between two strips of baking paper until 5 mm thick
6. Using a 5cm round cookie cutter cut 12 rounds from each sheet of dough
7. using a small heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out the centre of 12 of the rounds and remove
8. Bake for 8-10 mins until golden
9. Allow to cool
10. spread a little strawberry jam on the whole rounds
11. Dust the cut rounds with icing sugar, then place on top of the whole rounds that have been spread with jam