So im on a bit of a meringue roll now! Thanks Daring Bakers! My head has just been filled with all sorts of different meringue combinations. Well, by different combinations, I really mean what different ways can I put chocolate into this recipe. I think I may have a problem.
First of all, I thought I should perfect the art of piping my meringues. I used ring moulds to make my pavs in the June Baking Challenge, but I love the look of twisty piped meringues. They remind me of the ones I used to always want from the bakery when I was little. You know the impossibly white ones with the technicolour sprinkles on top?
They were light, and they were tasty. Now, im not sure if its the Australian in me, but I was waiting for that little inside bite of marshmallowy goodness. Yes the chocolate was a good substitute, but I think im starting to get over the novelty of the pain meringue. However, if its a nice, crispy meringue you’re after with a little chocolate surprise in the centre, then this is absolutely for you!
Meringue Surprise Recipe – adapted from ‘Delia’s How to Cook: Book One’
2 large egg whites
110g caster sugar
a handful of mini M&Ms
1. Place the egg whites in a large clean bowl and whisk on a low speed until whites are foamy (approx 2 mins)
2. Switch the speed to medium and carry on whisking for another minute
3. Turn the speed to high and keep whisking until the whites are at the stiff peak stage
4. Add the sugar a little at a time (I like to count to 30 before adding another spoonful to make sure its all being incorporated properly). The whites should be stiff and glossy at this stage
5. Pipe the meringue mix into your patty pans until they are half full
6. Sprinkle a few M&Ms onto the meringue mix
7. Pipe over the M&Ms until the patty pans are full
8. Bake in an oven at 140 degrees celsius for 30 mins (keep a close eye on them because you dont want them to get too brown or to overcook them
9. When you judge that the meringues are done, turn the oven off and leave the meringues to dry inside the oven overnight or until the oven is completely cold
10. Eat them!! Hooray!