What do you love more than a cup of hot tea and a jammy biscuit?
Thats as it should be.
Well… not strictly true but we do all love a hot beverage and a tasty cookie don’t we? So what better to make your Valentine than these cute jammy shortbread cookies? They’re red and heart shaped and oh so tasty!
Another recipe from Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros, these cookies are deceptively easy to make and are great for using up any extra jam you may have lying around say if you recently made a batch of Strawberry and Vanilla Conserve… It’s basically two layers of delicious shortbread sandwiched with strawberry jam and baked until golden and crumbly.
All you need to do is whip up the dough, spread some jam, cover it with another piece of dough and slip that sucker in the oven
Bam! Warm, delicious shortbread.
I thought I would be tricky and cut some shapes into the top piece of dough before putting it on top of the jam. Then I cut rounds out with my circular cookie cutter. You can cut any shapes you like and you could probably cook it pre-cut if you wanted as well. It’s quite a versatile recipe so have a play around with it if you like. I love the fact that they are very similar to Arnotts Raspberry Shortcake cookies and Jammy Dodgers. Make them at home from your left overs and you may just have a double win on your hands.
So if you’re not quite sure what to get your valentine, or if you *gulp* forgot… have a crack at these. Definitely a heart melter. I definitely love myself more after giving them to myself for valentines day…
So, lovelies and lovers, what are you up to this valentines day?
Jam Shortbread – From Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros
100g caster sugar
200g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
a few drops vanilla extract
approx 200g strawberry jam
1. Work the butter and sugar together with your hands until combined
2. Add flour and baking powder and work them in
3. Knead egg and vanilla into the mix and keep working until smooth and well combined
4. Cover with plastic wrap and place the dough into the fridge for 30 mins
5. Divide the dough in half and roll out to a thickness of 2-3 mm
6. Spread the jam over the dough
7. Roll out the second piece of dough and place over the jam (you may want to cut some shapes into this dough before placing on top of the jam, or you may not!)
8. Place into an oven preheated to 170 degrees celsius and bake for 15 mins or until lightly golden
9. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes. Cut into desired shapes and leave to cool completely (or eat warm with some tea!)
Mmmm, cookies and jam make the best kind of sandwich. These look scrumptious. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog until tomorrow evening and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-4.html
oh, these take me back. I use to LOVE those jammy biscuits or tarts with a cuppa. I think I have some hidden away in the cupboard… looks like I’ll be digging them out tonight 😛
There may be no better combination on earth than shortbread and strawberry jam. So yummy!
Haha I LOVE jammy biscuits Shellie, sorry to re-awaken your craving!
Julia, it is a match made in heaven. I’m glad you like it 🙂
I love anything jam related! This great, thank you!!